Feb 24, 2012

Thousands of Georgians call on Russia to pull out its troops from Georgian territory

By Robert Moore

Thousands of Georgians call on Russia to recognize Georgia`s territorial integrity, pull out its troops from Georgian territory and facilitate repatriation of IDPs to their homes in Abkhazia and Tskhinvali Region.

Soviet(Russian) occupation has changed the names into South Ossetia and Abkhazia in the period 1921-1992). The historicaly correct name of South Ossetia is: Shida Kartli or Samachablo). The historically correct name of Abkhazia is Apkhazeti. These regions were always Georgian and never independent states before the August 2008.

In 1992-1993 and in 2008, Russia organized an ethnic cleansing of Georgians in Abkhazia and South Ossetia. More than 400,000 Georgians were driven out of Abkhazia & South Ossetia and are not allowed to return to their homes until today.

Two Georgian regions, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, remain under Russian occupation and are being militarized further and further. There is no form of human rights whatsoever in these two regions. Neither Russia nor the pro-Russian regimes allow Georgians to return to their homes and property in the regions. Both regions are closed to international organizations and observers. There is no form of economy, no press-freedom.

Abkhazia and South Ossetia have been declared independent by Russia and some dwarf island nations that were paid by Russia to do so. The independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia is absolutely illegal and was declared after large-scale ethnic cleansing of the Georgian population. In Abkhazia for example, the number of ethnic Abkhazians was 1% of the total population in 1989. This group has been given the right by Russia to make fundamental decisions for the other 99% of the population, like independence.

Georgian refugees demand from the Russian state to stop the occupation, to let them return to their homes and live a safe life there.